Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

I'd love to say I was awoken this morning by the smell of bacon and eggs with a perfect cup of coffee sitting at my bedside, but the truth of the matter is, both hubby and I desperately try to get every wink of sleep we can. So instead, Percy treated us all to a very strident 6:31 demand for FOOD! He's not the most patient of guys when it comes to eating so into bed he came for a feed. Hubby put on his eye shades and tried to ignore the obvious intrusion of morning. At 6:58, Cutie called her usual morning greeting of, "get up now?" down the hall. This time she actually came when we told her she could get out of bed. Suddenly, a queen size bed doesn't seem so big after all. After she had a snuggle and a short play with Percy, Daddy decided it was the optimal situation for early morning "toy time". Placing bets on how long that would last, we closed the door and again tried to ignore reality.

10 minutes we got out of it! Whoohoo!

Then it was on to "rock, paper, scissors" to see who would do the honor of breakfast preparation. Being the ever thoughtful wife (without a care that it was Mother's Day) I took both children and down the stairs we trooped for oatmeal, green gunge (Cutie's vivid description of Percy's food), and "flakes". Now I know that most of you are wondering how my wonderful husband could possibly make me get up and handle breakfast duty on Mother's day. Shouldn't I be the one curled up and sleeping the extra hour? Well, truth to be told, he does it most days. So with the promise of a long nap later in the day, I willingly took the turn.

Once we finished our breakfast, we went on to arts and crafts. Cutie made a lovely picture of a bouquet of flowers for her nana and Percy put a mark on the pot so he could say he had a part. Then, guess what, the plumber arrives. Yes, welcome to another day of sewage flowing into our backyard. I will spare you the grim details, but suffice it to say he spent the morning making the most awful muck in our backyard. Still, given the alternative . . .

Fortunately, we were able to get away for a while and off we went to church. Cutie went happily along to Sunday School (voicing "no go Sunday School" several times, but very happy on arriving) and Percy stayed in church with us. (he strategically made his presence known just at the end of the sermon when he pinched his fingers in the door - what a howl)

After our cup of tea (old British traditions die hard), we got everyone into the car and off we went to Nana and Pop's. There we found a nice meal that required no effort on my part. Until I remembered what I forgot - Percy's food. As mentioned above, Percy is a bit demanding when he gets hungry and the pangs were hitting. I scooped together two carrots, a broccoli, and 3/4 and eggplant. After 10 minutes in the microwave and a few minutes with the hand blender all was well once again. And he wow'd them all by polishing off almost the entire bit. There is talk of tapeworms within the family, now.

We had a nice boat ride, another cup of tea, and then came home to clean up the mess left by the plumber before tossing both kidlets into the bathtub (newly repaired) for a scrub. By now Percy was a bit of a mess from having two shortened naps for two days running. We had a quick dinner after which time I was told to disappear for 5 minutes. After the allotted time, I heard noise at the top of the stairs (with coaching from daddy so Cutie wouldn't race down the hall without Percy) and both kids appeared - Mother's Day card and gift in hand. Percy even had nice purple marks all over his chubby little hand from the hand-prints on the card. By 7pm, the cherubs were in bed. I have taken a break from bathroom sterilization duty (I saw what that guy had on his boots!) and just wanted to say hello to all my mom/mum family and friends who I couldn't see today. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, too.

1 comment:

michelle said...

LOL! You describe your day so vividly and with wry humour. Love it!
Cutie's talking is adorable (love the 'no Sunday School'!) and precious little Percy!
You know I used to have one of those food grinder thingys. They are excellent.
Topsy has never had mashed carrot because I don't have it anymore and mashing it by hand never mashed it fine enough.
He eats it cooked and cubed in with his mashed potato and peas (mashed potato in our family is orange, due to the pupkin and sweet potato that are also in it. No one has ever questioned this and they have long since grown used to it)and little bits of whatever meat is going!