Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Germs

I thought I better put something on this blog before the bugs hit me!

Today looked to be the last fine weather day of the week so Pawpaw, Granny, Cutie, Percy and myself decided to have a look around Sydney. (while a disappointed hubby headed off to college) Cutie bounced around the house with excitement and both kids were thrilled to go to the train station. Since P&G were with us, Cutie and Percy had their first trip in the upper level of the train while I stayed downstairs with the strollers.

As we went through the city circle, everyone rejoined me in the "I can't get up/downstairs" bit of the train. Cutie crawled over to see me and suddenly breakfast+ came rolling out. I'll spare you further details, but by the end of it, everyone sitting around us was waving tissues at me. I'm still not sure if that was kind-heartedness or sheer self-preservation. Needless to say, we missed our stop, but we managed to get it together and depart with some dignity intact at the next station.

Okay, even an optimist has to admit she's sick

Whenever I think I'm a pessimist, I just need to recall times like these. Hoping to save some of our day, we discussed the possibility of motion sickness (never mind that Cutie's NEVER exhibited any signs before) and when she perked up, we decided to go on. We wandered through town to our original destination - Darling Harbour. On the way, we kept an eye out for cheap shoes so Cutie could get out of the stroller. We never found any and I had to admit optimist's defeat when Cutie lost what little was left about 30 minutes later. Poor Cutie. She did not want to go back home, but she fell asleep in the train on the way back. Fortunately, Percy didn't understand that his "fun" day was cancelled and thought it was all great because he got to see water, go on the train (twice, even) and had crackers(no veggies) for lunch.

It is up to me to keep the household morale alive

Cutie is now upstairs and asleep. Bless her heart, she's begging for water and I've had to ration it. She looks like she's doing better though. Since I shared my breakfast cereal with her and Percy this morning, I'm waiting to see how hardy our immune systems are. Hubby will probably do the standard thing and manage to avoid all the germs! How is it that they can do that?

Now, lest you think G&P are having no fun, they decided to take their train passes and go back into the city. As of 9pm, they're still not home and they were asking how late the trains ran so who knows what they have in mind.

Let's see. Since my last blog, we have done some other things designed to entertain adult and child alike.

Saturday we packed a picnic (enough for several families our size, it seems), borrowed a boat, and headed out to a park to enjoy the day. In the past, Percy and Cutie were content to ride, but not this time. Percy has discovered a fancy little thing called a steering wheel and nothing would make the trip complete until he had a go at it.

Okay, Pawpaw. You can let go now. I've got control.

Not to be outdone, Cutie swung into her role as tour director - making sure granny saw the bridge, the cars, and the airplanes!

It's a jumbo jet, granny. See the arrangement of it's wheel housing.

Everyone had a great time although serious adult effort went into making sure Percy didn't take a dive off the edge of the hill we chose for our picnic spot.

I guess I COULD be persuaded to keep close with a little chocolate cake

On the way home, it was all we could do to make sure no one fell asleep (this would have permanently damaged a much needed nap-time). Hubby did his part by making sure both kids were employed as they navigated down the home stretch. If that didn't work, at least the wind in their hair might help!

Who says we're tired?!

Cutie continues to be very happy if we're out of the picture as much as possible. She and Percy are busy reading books, going to the park, and having all sorts of outside fun. Percy has developed a passionate liking for his purple ball and Cutie loves nothing more than to have tea parties with who-ever will participate. Unless she's pretending to be a baby, of course.

high tea with pawpaw

So that's our lives for now. If there is a long gap before the next blog, it means the germs have attacked and my feeble immune system was no match. Until then, we continue to race through life at 100mph.

So tired he can't even finish lunch!

6 comments:

michelle said...

So has Cutie got the dreaded bug?
Such a shame. I hope she is better soon.
You guys are doing lots of fun stuff. Taking a boat out! Wow. How cool are you guys. I'd have never though of that.

overthere said...

it helps that Pete's grandparents own a boat!

Robyn said...

Poor Cutie :( I hope the rest of you manage to keep it at bay. Looks like your folks are having a blast!

Anonymous said...

Lillipilli here...sounds as though you are having a blast down there..way to go!
Sorry to hear of poor cutie getting sick...isn't it difficult on public transport or when you're out and about and the kids vomit, although you sounded as though you pulled through remarkably well!.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you forgot the dramamine...
Hopefully this motion sickness thing is a one time only deal!

BTW: I was in the grocery store the other day and saw weetabix! How exciting. I will have to give them a try!

overthere said...

they're in America? Wonder if they've made it to Texas. And don't blame me if you think they're a tasteless, soggy mess. I haven't developed a taste for them yet!