Friday, August 25, 2006

Mommy go work

I've been banished to the office for the duration of my parent's stay, I think. Cutie has decreed it to be so although she does seem willing to allow my presence to care for Percy. As long as I don't interfere with her own private Granny and Pawpaw time.

On Wednesday, it was all talk of Granny and Pawpaw coming. Because Cutie was so good (and also because she took a nap), she got to go with me to the airport to pick up G&P. I had no idea a two year old could engender a look of disbelief on her face. Just goes to show I don't let her up past her bedtime very often, I think. Anyway, she was so excited - possibly more about the idea of a trip to the airport than anything.

After about three minutes of watching for G&P's arrival, Cutie decided it was taking too long, but fortunately, she reached into reserves of patience and all was well. She was a little hesitant about these people she only knew in pictures, but after about ten minutes, her chatty little self took over and no one got any other words into the conversation.

G&P are good sports, because the next morning, hubby and I got up early and left the kids to their jet-lagged attention.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice you weren't here

Cutie just managed to convey an unconcerned goodbye before heading back to the playdough, but Percy (ever sensitive to his parent's needs for reassurance) let out a wail as we headed for the door. Pawpaw took him outside to wave goodbye to us and the crying stopped instantly. Seems even little Percy was more interested in seeing the outdoors than disappointed at our departure. Well, I guess we know how we rate.

P&G won the Cutie rating of approval when we returned to the words "Mommy, Daddy go college again". Things improved when we told her G&P were not leaving just because we got home. Oh, heaven. Although Percy did let us know we were missed - thanks, Percy.

G&P don't travel light. Auntie S is determined that our children do not suffer from the horrible fashion sense their mother has been endowed with and so has taken it upon herself to provide them with the appropriate clothing (and accessories). While Percy busily inspected the back of his eyelids, Cutie took it upon herself to empty the suitcase and evaluate the contents. Just like having a birthday party again!

And the book, and the bunny, and the dress . . . is there more?


About 3am, Percy woke up and realized all the fun he had missed - and for the next two hours he let me know what he thought about that.

But it's daytime in America - Granny and Pawpaw will be awake!

"No, Mommy, a cruskit (cracker) will NOT make up for what I missed last night. I was not REALLY that tired when you put me to bed!" So Percy is catching up on his sleep this morning and Cutie is out having a walk with G&P. To quote cousin K, "It's just paradise".

5 comments:

michelle said...

Yeah they are here! I love how you describe things, you know. I hope you don't get a complex from Cutie's hints to leave! And percy examining his eyelids. I laughed! Out loud. Cuse at first I wondered how he could physically do that, and it made me shudder!
Have a great time with your folks! Post plenty pics!

Lillipilli said...

Yay YAY YAY for you that Granny and PawPaw have come! I'm always amazed at how quickly little kids remember their long distance relatives, and just so open up their little hearts and minds to them! My kids are the same with their relo's. I hope you have lots of sunshiny days so that you can all get out and see our lovely city, and enjoy some great quality time.
Good on Aunty S for spoiling your kids , they deserve it. (and no you don't have bad fashion sense!)

Robyn said...

Have a wonderful visit! I'm sure your kids and parents are going to have a ball making up for lost time, is it the first time they've met the children?

Anonymous said...

I love reading your stories, so creative, your descriptions. I had to play catch-up because I have been MIA on here lately. Glad your exam is over, the poor picnic. WHat a day you had!
Where do granny and pawpaw live? Curious is all, are they still there visiting. I bet they love catching up with those cute grandkids of theirs.

overthere said...

G&P are from Texas. They have seen the kids a number of times - this is their third visit to Australia. Everyone is having a great time.