Monday, we picked up grandma and grandpa and went over to nanna and pop's house for an hour or so before we went to the beach. We had a nice walk along the boardwalk and even took a foray onto the sand itself - no mean feat in the two man stroller! We forded a small stream and then made our way through the wilds of a few trees to the swing/slide (Cutie's term for playground). Cutie and Percy were in heaven. Cutie loves the swing most, but there were a lot of other kids so she had to make her own.
Cutie and her swing/slide

The world's next great explorer in the making
Today, I had a brief period of "mommy time" discussing challenges in raising children with other moms. Cutie loved creche/nursery and wanted to come back even before we left. Percy was a bit less impressed, but a nappy change fixed that.
After much encouragement, Cutie went to the table at morning tea time and got her very own bikkie/cookie (without mommy's help). She rapidly made use of this newfound independence and I think I caught her with number four before I noticed. I should have thought that one through!
We spent a few hours playing with the cousins to round out the fun. Cutie now insists on having vegimite sandwiches because her cousin does. Only one problem - she hates vegimite. So I just give her butter and let her call it what she will.
Oh, and on the topic of vegimite (really foul stuff that looks like axle grease for all those Americans). Hubby and the entire in-law clan are appalled that I have taught Cutie the delights of peanut butter and jelly. It's very American. And besides that, jelly over here is jello, so it sounds doubly bad to the uninformed. We have had word wrangling since I introduced this taste sensation to Cutie (who adopted it with much more flare than she did vegimite). Hubby insists it's jam and I just can't say peanut butter and jam. It doesn't flow. To keep household peace, I am now allowed to say jelly in conjunction with peanut butter and he can say jam all the rest of the time. Now that's something I bet you never thought about!
8 comments:
I agree that peanut butter and jam just doesn't work! Paul finds that very weird though :)
I just never realized how American it is until I married Peter.
Ditto to the PB&J dilemma. I just cannot say the other even if it means I have to spend 5 minutes expleining the term jelly to my kids every time.
Sounds like you were plenty planned during the week. Peter must have got lots done!!
Wow. I never realized peanut butter and jelly was so "AMerican" obviously because I was raised with it, but they are very yummy. Some people like to add slices of banana to it also! Jelly (or jello) is kind of a gross sounding word but you are all right, jam just doesn't flow the way it should when you say pb and j!
All of these pictures of the two precious ones are really making Granny and I eager to hold and play with them. This is a REALLY fun time of your life with them. Savor the time. Spend lots of time with them. Time passes quickly and they will be all grown up before you know it. Savor the time.
Kerah always loved the swing best too. Still does. She would even go to sleep at times in the swing. And of course one of Kerah's favorite foods is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a main course, followed by milk and some fruit and a brownie.
I didn't think my little dissertation on PB & J would get so many comments. Xraymommy, I think you have to leave the states to realize what a big deal it is. It's just so much part of life there. I took PB&J to school every day for one year. And somehow I still grew up healthy! I heard of other combos, but I never tried them.
Pawpaw, I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures. I am enjoying the kids. They are busy and a handful, but it seems like just yesterday when Cutie was born and she's such a big girl (to me, at least) now. I remember Kerah on the swing. I pushed her until I realized she had fallen asleep one day. Wish you guys could be here to see them, but I'm really looking forward to Christmas.
Cute pictures... but vegemite still rules.
Love you guys
Cec, I enjoyed your blog. Whereever do you find the time, though?
Post a Comment