After dropping Percy and Cutie off, hubby and I headed for lunch without the usual interruptions and 2 year old centered conversation. We spent three hours childless and had real discussions about serious and not so serious topics. It was all good. As we waited for someone to open the door at grandma and grandpa's house, we heard Cutie with her usual mantra of "again!" and decided that the only ones who might actually be happy to see us would be grandma and grandpa. And we were right. Everyone had a good time, but I have to say that taking four grandchildren to the pool does seem to require an afternoon nap for those adults involved.
It's been a generally fun week. We've had to be creative in dealing with the rainy days. We need rain, but it makes it hard for the kids when we spend little time out of the house. We visit lots of people to break up the monotony of being home and pinned inside. Fortunately, Cutie is still at the age where doing things with mom is fun. She likes cooking, cleaning, putting things away, and stuff like that. She also likes to take things out of their place and scatter them all over so don't think she's in any way a little neat freak!
Cutie helps me puree Percy's food
Percy still eats voluminous amounts of food most days. He has come back to reality after discovering chocolate cake and ice cream on his birthday. After a week of convincing him that he used to like sweet potato, I've vowed no more sweets until he's old enough to realize that he wants it!

About a month ago, I bought a bottle of bubble bath for the kids - a new thing I'd been meaning to do. They loved it. Percy does this great belly laugh when I blow the bubbles at him and they both love 'bubble hats', 'bubble hair', and 'bubble 'tees' (goaties). We ran out of the stuff this week so as soon as it stops raining long enough to get to the supermarket, that has to be rectified.

Cutie with bubble hat and 'tee - minus sideburns and full mustache from 2 minutes ago.
Cutie loves to direct the world like it's her own personal stage production. Whatever she's enjoying, she's sure Percy will enjoy. And I just do as ordered because everyone seems to enjoy it so much.
Under Cutie's direction, Percy gets his own bubble hat and 'tee. What a trooper!
Bedtime is such a ritual now that everyone just seems to troop along as if there were no choice (that's the point of routine, right?!). There are baths, books, teeth, Bible, prayers, goodnight kisses, a song, and goodnights. Then, when it's all over, hubby and I sit down, heave a sigh, and have kiddie free time. It's all good!
5 comments:
I really enjoyed this post! We love routine too. You may find that Cutie will be a little Mommy clone for several years to come, actually.
I am glad you got some time away together though. Good on the grandparents I say!
What a great post. Your kiddies are the cutest!
I am being a "health freak" when it comes to food, too. I don't see why we should give kids junk when they don't even know what it is! SO, when cutie had cake for his first birthday, did it make him want sweets all the time, or he just decided he doesn't want sweet potatoes? Just curious as I will be in that predicament soon enough.
Glad you and hubby got some time together.
Sorry, I said cutie but meant precy. They are both so cute so I got confused :-)
Have you gotten a xanga site yet?
Seeing those two on here and on video makes us want to come hold them ourselves and play with them.
They are both SO cute. No, I am not biased.
Pawpaw
glad you're enjoying the post. this is the deal with the food. I was Ghengis Khan the food warrior with Cutie and everyone gave me such grief. Of course, once she started noticing stuff and asking for it, I let her have things in moderation, but she was almost 1 1/2 by then. Percy has been a huge challenge with eating. He did not eat solids until he was ten months old and anything new is met with a screwed up face! I generally have to spend several days introducing any new thing until he'll eat more than one bite. I felt like the cake almost undid all that work - and sweet potatoes were something he liked! Fortunately, 1 year old memories are short so about 2 weeks later all was back to square one.
On the other hand, if I were faced with Cutie's attitude to food which was "bring it on, whatever form, whatever the taste" I probably wouldn't worry. And fortunately, whatever you do for their birthday, if you don't continue it, you will still have some time before they start looking at candy and whining for it!
Is that a long enough answer?! :)
Pawpaw, we'd love to have you come. I'm already telling them how much they'll be spoiled at Christmas!
Post a Comment