Tuesday, November 11, 2008

culture shock

Princess and Thor started school a few months ago and with school comes invitations for birthday parties. You know, cake, ice cream, party games, presents - all stuff that entertains kids, right?

Well, we have a lot to learn. Just the invitation was enough to warn me that this was not your usual kool-aid/cordial and cake sort of affair. First of all, there was a schedule beginning with: my friends arrive at 7pm. Wait - 7pm? For a 3 year old's birthday party. Culture shock phase I.

Yes, I didn't misread the invitation. Knowing that many things here start later than the appointed time I asked my trusted language teacher for advice. We looked at the invitation. The schedule continued: magic show - 8pm. What? My language teacher advised we not go until 8pm! Okay, can I get both my kids to take a nap so we have a chance of socially acceptable behavior at this function?!

Perusing the invitation further, I find that the puppet show starts at 8:30pm, the cake will be cut at 9:15pm and food will be served at 9:30! Ah, at last, dinner. Of course, in case the kids aren't sure what to do with themselves in the midst of this busy program, they can enjoy popcorn from the popcorn machine, jump in the jumping castle, or ride the play train or toy horses. Culture shock II.

At this point, hubby chimed in that this whole function looked entertaining and could he come, too? Well, after duly checking - through acceptable social routes - we ascertained that this was indeed a family affair.

Fortunately, Princess likes wearing party dresses so it wasn't too hard to get her appropriately dressed. And no one seems to care much what little boys wear as long as they're clean, so Thor showed up in respectible fashion. I, of course, wore my best outfit, knowing I would be outshone by all those around me. I have a pet theory though - if the kids are as cute as buttons and all dolled up, no one notices the mother. It only works while they're young of course, but we're in that stage of life.

And so, at about 8pm, we set out for our first local birthday party. We noticed the lights from the main road and when we stopped at the police barricade to inquire after the address, we were directed to the house with the lights. Hmm. Maybe this is going to be even bigger than we thought.

Hubby let me out with the kids in front of the hired security crew - complete with Kalishnakovs, red cummerbunds, and frilly, pointy hats. As we approached the red carpet (no, I'm not kidding here), we were greeted effusively by the mother. I stood in amazement gazing upon more pink than anyone except a young girl can imagine. There were pink chair covers, pink table clothes, pink balloons, pink napkins, pink curtains (with the birthday girl's picture on them), pink streamers with shiny baubles at the end, and a - yes, you guessed it - pink birthday cake. Princess was ecstatic. Thor just headed for the jumping castle. Mommy was in phase III culture shock.
passing time until dinner - no make that cake cutting

At about 8:45 the festivities began. By 9:30 people were raiding the 4 buffet tables, and eventually, at about 10pm, a very tired 3 year old cut her birthday cake. This is, of course, after uniformed waiters have passed ice creams to everyone. Oh, and through it all, the police band played appropriate 3 year old party music - okay, well they played music - in the background. Culture shock IV alive and well.

Now if you think that your birthday parties with 10-20 kids running around, snacking on chips, candy, and cake, and drinking themselves silly on flavored drinks causes a ruckous, just imagine this setting. Fortunately, the effect is a bit ameliorated by the large number of adults also present. Thus reinforcing the idea that this party is actually for the adults rather than the kids.

And wouldn't you know it - we forgot the camera. So I hope you have a good imagination. I did remember the camera the next week when we attended our second party. This one qualifies as a child's birthday party in the same way that a small carnival is similar to a birthday party. Fortunately, this party started at a more sane time: 4:30 (and it actually started, too), was full of fun things for kids to do, and had kid friendly (and slightly healthy) food.
pinaita, confetti, candy necklaces - it doesn't get better than this

And for culture shock number V: how am I ever going to give my kids a birthday party in this country?!

We have technical malfunction so stay tuned for a few pics.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This scenario does kinda remind me of the birthday parties my sister attends/hosts in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney .... I believe Tom is having a 'Scientist' to come and do some 'experiments' with the kids at his next party. (He has previously had magicians, clowns, etc - entertainment and a theme seems to be mandatory)BUT at least these affairs don't generally involve caterers, security and wait staff (at least not at the preschool stage of life!!!). Sounds like a scary precedent has been set Son. Better start saving now!

Sophie said...

yeah, that sounds about right. I went to a kids party in Fiji where it was most definitely a prestige, social event. The hostess the year before had invited 75 children. The year I went, she 'only' had about 48!!!!! The mind boggles!!

overthere said...

yes. well, we're off to another 'cowboy' themed event tomorrow. At the polo club, no less. At least this one is child focused. I'm told the ponies will be available to ride. Still stunned.

ML said...

Wowie - your kids have some pretty fancy friends. I've heard of some big kiddie parties but this one umm... takes the cake. I really enjoyed your take on it though. Your blog is always such an entertaining read. And Princess looks too cute in that picture.

michelle said...

OK, um wow!! Take notes sister, 'cause I am sure there is a book here, a kids' party theme book if nothing else!
Glad to hear a little of how you guys are going! Keep blogging ( I know I am being a hypocrite)

Anonymous said...

THis sounds like a southern Debutant Ball-with out the teenagers! It'll be hard to compete-but who needs to???
Missing you from Minnesota.