Hubby has just taken Princess and Thor for a ride to a) get a battery for our doorbell and b) try to find a part for our washing machine. Just prior to their trip, we all enjoyed a treat from our favorite peddling ice cream man. Every time Thor hears the song his little ears perk right up!
This week we are still settling in although we have the necessary items to prevent the daily trips to the bazaar. 
newly dyed cloth - entertainment for the kids on yet another shopping trip
This is good as I had reached my shopping threshhold. Our shopping trips are always complicated by the arrival of somebody to handle some necessary household set-up proceedure. First there was the cable guy, then the cable guy again and finally the electrician. One got us hooked to the net and the other came to diagnose our 7-8 non-working electrical outlets.
hooking up the internet . . . and it works!
The answer - "they don't work. Maybe they used to be telephone hook-ups instead." Hmph. What this means, is that we have one working outlet in our entire living and dining area.
We still haven't had the plumber in to diagnose the failed hot water in our bathroom. Maybe I'm too scared of what the answer might be.
The other thing that complicates our shopping trips is Princess' regular announcement, "I need to use the toilet". Now in Australia and the US, this is not usually a huge problem, but in South Asia it presents a whole host of new issues. On the positive side, I've found that there are way more 'public' toilets than I ever thought. On the down side, toilets are generally not a positive experience in South Asia. I have now had a myriad of interesting conversations with Princess regarding squat toilets. This may be a part of this move I'd like to forget.
Thor is taken it all in stride. He's learning to say hello in a new language and he actually likes having his cheeks pinched. I'm just waiting for the day he reaches for the adult and pinches back.
Just a short update today. More later when hubby isn't downloading some megafile that slows down everything I do!
6 comments:
With regard to the toilets, I can't remember ever using a public toilet over there, except in places like airports or restaurants. And always having to 'not sit' on teh seat (if such a thing existed). But that's impossible to do!
Anyway... there used to be signs saying "To Let" and then a phone number underneath around the streets. I could read when I was three, but not well enough, because I thought they said, 'toilet' and I wondered why they had a phone number underneath. It occurred to me that because you didn't know where the public toilets were, perhaps there were private 'for rent' type toilets, and you could ring up and book a berth, so to speak. I did wonder how you could know to go at the time you booked for.. my bladder was not 'on command' at that stage. Once I learned about real estate, things became a lot clearer.
Hi there!
It's so great to be able to read this and hear and see what you guys are up to!
It's nice too when Catherine is able to read out things to us from your letters.
It looks really exicting being where you are - we would love to visit you guys one day soon!
And about the squat loo - I understand poor princess!!! Ah! Good thing to start her young :-P
Bec
PS I have recently found some measurements of Princess and Thor in our home on the door frame next to the fridge! I just couldn't bring myself to clean it away..
Cec, I'm impressed you put all this together at the age of three. Bec, that's sweet about the marks on the kitchen door. Maybe we should make some here.
I have not talked to Gilbert about coming to your country to do electrical work. It seems as if he is still very much needed. He will probably enjoy reading this blog.
Ice cream sandwiches or other types cure everything.
This house was just upgraded wasn't it. Sounds as if someone forgot to tie some wires together.
I liked seeing the town picture. It helps everyone see a bit of the town.
Pawpaw
I enjoyed the comments and pictures. I remember the neat toilet facilities when we were there--something for children to learn!! Your home looks nice-hope that you get most of the problems working. It looks like it is warm there and ice cream would be good. Tell Princess and Thor that we'll be sure to supply them with ice cream sandwiches when they are here. Love to you.
We'll pass on the ice cream message to both kids. Maybe tomorrow we'll get them something special from Granny and Pawpaw.
No one else thinks it's warm here, but we're still in short sleeves during the day.
Post a Comment