Thor has a birthday in May and he’s been VERY excited about his birthday at least since January – when Princess had hers. In February he found his perfect gift and never looked back. All discussion was about going to May and getting his sky train* when he got there.
Being a logical adult, I assumed going to May was just a cute little boy way of saying ‘when May comes’. But soon hubby and I discovered it wasn’t. First there was the question of ‘how are we going to get to May?’ This was shortly followed by ‘are we in May yet?’ and other similar questions.
the before May birthday
Then we complicated matters by deciding to take a trip to the US in (you guessed it) May. And we talked about flying on an airplane to America. The next question from Thor went something like this:
Thor: ‘mommy, how are we going to get to May?’
Me: ‘well, honey, May will come to us.’
Thor: ‘no, I think we’ll use a jumbo jet’
Me: ‘we might use a jumbo jet to get to America’
Thor: ‘I want a sky train* when we get to May.’
And on and on and on . . .
*skytrain is an elevated train patterned after the train at the Dallas Fort Worth airport
As we approached May, even Princess joined in the efforts to sort out the great May/America conundrum. But to no avail. Thor continued to insist on ‘going to May’.
And finally – May came. We announced the happy event only to be met with tears and frustration that ‘we are not at May’. And then things got even more complicated. Thor’s birthday arrived. We asked him how it felt to be a big four years old only to be told rather emphatically that he was NOT four. He was only three because we weren’t in May yet.
the official May cake
May is full of all sorts of surprises
2 comments:
practice makes perfect
I hope May is going well. I feel bad because we missed his birthday. I still have that present in mind. When I finally get to the appropriate shop I'll buy up for a couple of years and send them in good time.
Post a Comment