Tuesday, April 01, 2008

bandaids and dust storms

Last night we were wakened by the sound of a gentle breeze blowing outside our house. This morning the melodic ringing of our phone told us the couple who help us keep our house respectable wouldn't be in today. The combination made for - well, a picture's worth a thousand words.
would you believe it was clean yesterday?
The grit is dancing beneath my fingers as I type this blog. Is the cooler weather worth the filth? (answer pending)

So why aren't you cleaning now, you might ask. And rightly so. I could say it's because my dedication to keeping the adoring public informed is greater than my dedication to my housework (and that's not far from the truth). But no, I am trying to prove to all and sundry that doctors do make good patients - sometimes.

I had my gallbladder out a few days ago. The kids (and me too) are learning all sorts of things from this. Princess asked so many questions that I finally gave her a rather detailed rundown of a laproscopic cholecystectomy (you always did want to know what it was called, right?). And she listened fascinated. Thor is more entertained by checking out mommy's bandaids. In fact, I think he's a bit put out that I get such big bandaids when all he gets are the little brown things. What's fair in that?

So what have I learned? I've learned that sending people home the same day they have their gallbladders out - even if those holes really are small - probably isn't doing them any favors. I've learned that after spending a few days in bed, doing morning dishes is as strenous as a marathon!

Hey, cool. Mommy takes as many naps as I do now.

I've decided I should probably send flowers to two people - my surgeon who informed me in a ten minute lecture that I was to have bedrest for at least three days, and my husband who had to take up the slack brought on when I decided to obey those orders. Although frankly, hubby doesn't care about the flowers. He just wants me to start changing the nappies again. Somehow that smells just as sweet to him!

A girl can't stretch out in this tub, Daddy! Where's mommy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey There!
Wow, how did your surgery go?
People back home have been talking to Father on your behalf :-)

Such quite pics of your new little one!

How is everything else going?
I have to write you an email, so many good things a happenin!

Rebecca M

Anonymous said...

Lilli here....
that photo of you and bub resting is so beautiful...goood on you for taking the advice. It's so good to hear that a doctor is learning, from first hand experience what it is like to be a patient....you'll give very good first hand advice to lap chole patients from now on!!
Any you go for it explaining stuff to Princess....she'll make a fine doctor one day too!

michelle said...

Glad you make a good patient! :) What a busy time you have had! and the dust sounds amazing, though my shelves look like that, as I am not really a duster!
I am so glad that you make time to keep us all informed. Your writing skills are fantastic.
XXOO